Elementary school is vital in the success our children will have in later years of their education. Writing is the task which my kids dislike the most so I decided to compile some writing prompts to get kids writing. Us adults even do the writing prompts with the kids.
Real Life Writing Prompts
- Tell me about your best friend.
- Describe your favorite animal and tell me why.
- What is the best sport and why do you think so?
- What do you love the most about your home?
- Tell me everything about your parents you can think of.
- If your family had to move away, where would you like to go?
- Describe your favorite summer activity. Why is it your favorite?
- Who is the nicest person you know? Why do you feel that way?
- Describe your favorite winter activity. Why is it your favorite?
- Is it better to live in a big city or the country? Tell me why?
Fantasy Writing Prompts
- What color would you use to describe yourself and why?
- If you lived on the moon describe what you see.
- What kind of superhero would you be and why?
- If you were a supervillian what would be your goal?
- What kind of animal would you be and why if you could choose?
- You just won 1 million dollars, what do you do?
- Explain a trip to the sun.
- Tell a story about everything being alive.
- You wake up to find an alien at your kitchen table, write about it.
- If you learned to time travel explain your day.
Self Writing Prompts
- My favorite foods are…
- I like to….
- My favorite thing I own is….
- I want to go to….
- When I grow up it would be cool to….
- I want to own a….
- My dream home would have….
- When I sleep I dream about….
- My favorite animals are
- I love it when….
- Write about a time you received a strange package. (If you never have then make it up)
- Describe your perfect world.
- Imagine all animals could talk. Tell a story about it.
- Write a story about a teacher who is suspected to be a witch.
- Imagine Gorillas took over the world and write about it.
- Invent your own toy in your mind and write about it.
- Describe a time you meet your favorite cartoon character.
- Write about what would happen if all the adults turned into kids.
- Make up a story but use all these words; spaceship, mall, fired, monkeys and blown away.
- It’s the end of the world! Write a story about the first thing you do.
- Make up the most unusual place to live and describe what its like to live there.
In conclusion, writing can be a lot of fun even for kids. Teachers and parents are responsible for making the activity as entertaining for children as possible.Use these writing prompts to get kids writing and join them too. Writing journals can be super fun for the whole family.
Comment below with your ideas and I will add them to the list.